Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Waterfall Braided Updo~ my Christmas Day hairstyle

 

Merry Christmas!

We had such a great Christmas Day, celebrating with friends and family. I hope your day was as special and memorable as mine was~ and full of good food, too!

I had a new Christmas dress (picture below) and wanted to fix my hair in a style that would match. So I tried a waterfall braid with a braided bun. Following the steps that I learned from Lilith Moon's video, I made a waterfall braid but zig-zagged it from one side of my head to the other, and then back again. In a waterfall braid you leave one of the main pieces out of your braid. I would add these left-over sections of hair into the lower levels of the braid. I hope this makes sense! Doing this created a basket-weave effect~ here are some pictures so you can hopefully see what I mean:

 

 

 

 





 
 



How did I keep all the sections straight, you ask? I used the double-mirror trick~ our bathroom has a mirror over the sink and a mirror on the front of the door, so I can stand in front of one and see the back of my head in the other. Very handy, no pun intended. :-)

Thanks so much for looking! I hope the rest of your Christmas week is filled with fun times and new, good memories for years to come.

2013 is almost here!

6 comments:

  1. How long does it take you to do these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me about 20 minutes, if I remember correctly. So not as long as you'd think! The key was being able to see what I was doing in the mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a shorter amount of time than I imagined. I guess you've had a lot of practice being a long time long hair. Haha, say that 5 times fast.

      Delete
    2. Haha, that is a mouth-full to say! Yes, I was surprised I could actually do it. I've done this look on a doll before, but this was my first time to try it out on myself. I really like waterfall braids~ thank goodness for Lilith explaining the technique involved!

      Delete
  3. This is a really beautiful design. It makes me want to master the waterfall braid, something I keep putting off because letting go of strands goes against all my braiding instincts.

    I'm glad you had a great Christmas, and I look forward to seeing more inspiring hair styles in the new year :)

    MistysMess on LHC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Misty~ Thank you so much! I know what you mean about the waterfall braid~ when I first saw it I couldn't imagine how in the world it was done. Then I watched Lilith Moon's video and she explained it. I hope you had a good Christmas too and that you have a fun, happy New Year :-)

      Delete